Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man

This is such an amazing movie!!!!! I got these free passes for a movie screening from a co-worker and I wasn't so sure I'd like the movie, but I'll never pass up a free movie. It is half-documentary, half-concert film. Going into the movie, I didn't even know who Leonard Cohen was. I had heard the name before and I knew he was a singer-songwriter, but I didn't know anything more than that. I was shocked and happy to find that he is the writer/original performer of two songs that I recently heard and loved, I'm Your Man (as heard on the L Word during a sexy performance by Kelly Lynch's drag king Ivan Aycock for Pam Grier's Kit Porter) and Hallelujah, which I've heard performed by various people on various tv shows at various sad moments. The movie had various indie artists, Rufus and Martha Wainwright, Antony, Teddy Thompson, Nick Cave, performing Leonard Cohen songs at a concert celebrating his life and work. And, in between songs, some of the artists and Bono and the Edge discuss their feelings about Cohen and his music and Cohen talking about his work and his life. Not only is his work amazing, but the little bits and pieces of his life that we see in the film are amazing also. It makes me really want to hear more of his music and learn more about him. I really recommend the movie to any indie music lover or any music lover.

Bono and the Edge talk about Cohen and his music often in the movie, but they were not in the concert, so I was kinda curious about it. Then, at the very end of the movie, Leonard Cohen sings Tower of Song with U2 as his back-up band. All I could think was, How fucking cool is this? How fucking cool is this guy that U2 is his BACK-UP BAND? U2 has so much reverance for this guy that they are his fucking back-up band! Awesome movie!!!!!

No comments: