Thursday, April 12, 2007

Race

Several things recently have got me thinking about race. And generally about racism, sexism, homophobia, all those forms of bigotry and hatred out there, especially in those instances when it is just dismissed out of hand or ignored, seen as the norm for society anyway. Because of a friend I've made recently, I've also had an opportunity to discuss these issues and hear her views, which often open my mind to new lines of thought, to the (often unconscious) reasons behind using certain derogatory words, phrases, or imagery.

So, I suppose the issue I'm dealing with right now is what do to about all this. What can I do to make any difference in this big world? There are obvious answers, such as getting involved in organizations. But my rhetoric class is often driving me to ask if any of these things are enough without dismantling the larger systems that support these things. I guess I'm just wrestling with how ineffectual I feel.

Please please PLEASE leave a comment about what you think.

No comments: