Monday, December 12, 2005

Job vs. Career

What do people expect of fresh college grads? Personally, I have yet to graduate college and am working as a data entry drone in an underground government facility for a very mediocre hourly wage and no benefits. I only work 40 hours a week and I like it that way. (Though I have to work more than 8 hours a day on weeks where we have a government mandated day off to make up my hours because I don't have paid holidays.) I don't have to take my work home with me and I get to leave it all there. I have a really good reputation with a temp agency and they always find me work. When I do graduate, unless I find a really great job editing or freelance writing, I don't want to work more than forty hours a week. Unless my job is really good or really promising, I'm not doing it. I have to have a life. Do employers think that you just graduated and don't have a family that you don't have or want a life? That your career or just this job they gave you should take up your whole exsistence? Where is the balance? Do they even believe in balance? I'd rather take an hourly job (though one with benefits) than a job like that. Do I just lack ambition? Or work ethic? Unless it is really really rewarding, I can't imagine spending the endless hours that jobs seem to expect.

No comments: