Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sexualization

What came first-girls being sexualized younger and younger & trying to act sexy very young or adult men trying to hook-up with underage and very young girls? I don't want to talk about "sexualizing children at ever younger ages", which is such a conservative cliche, and totally ignores that children are curious about their bodies and sex from the time they are little, it is just a matter of how that is expressed. Throughout the ages, kids have been curious and explored that curiousity alone or with others their own age, but it seems to me that it was very innocent and naive and didn't have the "skanky" feel it does today. And I'm also not kidding myself that many children throughout time have had sexual experiences with adults, whether consenting or not or married or not. (Until recently, almost everyone was married long before we today legally allow it, except in Georgia. And it was not uncommon for a much older man to marry a teenage girl.) So is it really that different today, or does it just seem that way because the media exploits it? I watched the NBC expose on child predators on the internet where they had Perverse Justice volunteers go online and claim to be an underage boy or girl to see if they would really come to the house and make good on their online talk. Many did even though they thought the boy or girl was 13. Is there really an explosion in this kind of behavior? Is it that advertisers are targetting younger and younger girls who want to act older (sexiness connotating maturity) and have disposable income (or parents with disposable income) so they make they put this image forward for younger girls which in turn leads to this very young sexy image in the culture that men latch onto? Does it have to do with girls today looking older at younger ages? I remember when I was 10-13, getting hitting on by older boys who were 16-20 but they always stopped once they found out my age and were very embarassed. All they saw were the boobs and thought I was much older than I was, though they probably knew I was younger than them. Later, when I was 17-18, I got hit on by two 35-40 year old men who knew my age all along and were happy to exploit that. Had something changed in the collective man's mind in those 4-8 years? Or had it always been that way? I recently heard that a (sports?) radio commentator boldly said that he thinks all straight men are much more attracted to women 16-20 (even if they are underage and not in their own age range).

How has the internet changed that? Would these men have done this if the internet was not their interface for meeting these very underage partners? Would they have been the guy in Lolita anyway? Or, since the internet is a very surreal place to meet people, it becomes "let's talk to this person>talk becomes sexual so they follow it> they take up the invitation because it is there" but they never would have done it without the internet. (I don't know this side of things- I only know the side of the real 13 year old talking online to older, more experienced people, feeling like a huge freak becaue no one else around me is interested in sex.)

When did the ideal woman in advertising change from sexy-20/30 to sexy-16/20 to sexy-teen to sexy-pre-teen or sexy-pre-pubescent?

No comments: