Monday, October 17, 2005

Female Chauvinist Pigs

Notes from the Article "Hog Heaven" Bitch Fall 2005
  • Male chauvinist pigs were men who thought that "hotness of a particular commerical mold is the highest achievement of womankind"--> now for a woman to be sexually liberated she has to feel that same way, to be a female chauvinist pigs, but it is still just perpetuating the same myths and wrong ideas about the highest achievement of womankind
  • Despite the way it is portrayed, we have to realize that sex workers are almost always not doing this work because they like it, like having sex on tape for money, like dancing naked for men, but because they need the money
  • Society not oversexualized but that a certain kind of sex is overcommerciallized --not really sexual hedonism but sex selling, not sexual pleasure
  • Young girls now: a) feel that 'sexual power is the only power worth excercising' and b) must express 'imaginary licentiousness before they've experienced lust', 'seeming as wild as possible'

Thoughts

Wow! I was ahead of my time!!! I was skanky when skanky wasn't cool. Really great article-makes me want to read the book Female Chauvinist Pigs but I don't really know how to use it yet.

Really corresponds to "Reasons behind Love/Sex Duality-Only way to have sexual power/liberation to make use of it" but it still doesn't give me a new way to think of these issues, different ways to value sexuality or evaluate desires.

Does show me that this is a larger problem of society also, that it is a learned behavior, that I am not alone in this wrong thinking, that to be a rebel is to not continue with this learned behavior.

[back dated to when I journaled it]

No comments: