Tuesday, April 18, 2006

American Dreamz

So, tonight I went to a free early movie preview to see American Dreamz, with Hugh Grant, Mandy Moore, and Dennis Quaid. It was a funny, satirical look at American Idol-reality shows and also at the current presidential administration. I saw two big problems with the movie. The first was that the terrorism subplot was completely unbelievable. There is no way those people would not have been more thoroughly background-checked before the show, or, at least, after the show started by the American press. The other was that, while I think the jokes poking fun at the Bush-like president might stand the test of time, I do not think the Dick Cheney/Karl Rove chief-of-staff will be understood or appreciated 20 years from now. I might be wrong. Then, again, will this movie even be really watched in 20 years? I'm not saying anything against this movie, but what movies do we watch today that were made in 1986??? I really liked the interaction between Hugh Grant's producer character and Mandy Moore's manipulative contestant. It shows that even the most empty, hollow, manipulative people can connect with someone.

Bottom line: I would recommend it to people, as long as they aren't looking for something deep and meaningful and as long as they don't mind the current presidential administration being made fun of.

No comments: